Wednesday, November 4, 2009

In the past week my DSL connection on my laptop has slowdown it is connected via WIFI?

I have a Dell laptop and it is connected to a 2Wire system. I have run all of my Norton antivirus software, defender, spybot and I have a fire wall that is active. I am careful when on the internet and I have not found anything. Thanks



In the past week my DSL connection on my laptop has slowdown it is connected via WIFI?antivirus downloads



Several things for you to check..



1. Reboot the 2Wire -- simply pull the power plug, wait 2-4 minutes plug it back in and wait for it to complete the boot cycle.. see if the speed returns.



(Sometimes routers need rebooting too.)



2. Be sure you dont have a "freeloader" check your wireless settings and be sure encryption is enabled.. might be a good time to change the "password" for you encryption just be be sure. You can check the router logs to see if anyone else is connected.



Check the signal strength and noise levels if neither of these two takes care of the connection speed. I use NetStumbler for this. It is free to download and shows noise vs signal levels.



You can use http://speakeasy.net/speedtest to see if you are getting good speed from the DSL.



Check your DSL speed using a wire to see if it is normal. If not, call your ISP and have the line checked, they can go bad and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment